Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Oh, yes... there is Joy!

Part of me thought that I would never feel it again. Not after my husband and I lowered Hank's casket into the dry, hard earth. Joy. I thought it was gone.....forever. But, a couple of weeks ago, on a Wednesday night at 7:00...... I found it. I returned for the first time to our Wednesday night children's ministry, and only expected to feel the pain. I had spend many many days thinking about the day that I would bring Hank to that very place I love. I was almost dreading going back. And then it happened..... I walked through those doors and saw the smiling faces of all of those kids I love so much, and I felt their hugs, and I heard their stories about their days, and ate supper with them I watched them sing songs to our Amazing God. And I watched the women from our church who work all day, then get off and come to prepare a meal for those kids. And they stand on their tired feet and serve us all with great big smiles and kind, kind words. Not thinking of satisfying their own hunger, they assure that all of our stomachs are nourished to prepare our souls to be too. And then, they scrub pans and sweep floors, and wipe tables. That is service. And that is love. Then we go to our classes and I listen to what the kids have to say about their faith, and I'm blown away at the perspectives they give, and the depth of some of their knowledge, and the desperate need for knowledge in others. And I listen as we gather together again to share, some of them so eager to share what they've learned that night. And then we join hands and I look into each one of their eyes as we sing, "I love you with the love of the Lord." And there it was, the joy I thought I'd never feel again. Reminding me yet again that God is good... all the time!


Deuteronomy 4:9  “Only take care, and keep your soul diligently, lest you forget the things that your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life. Make them known to your children and your children’s children—



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nathan and Marsha!
When I was reading this a song from the book of James kept coming into my mind. Joy..."Consider it pure joy when you face the many trials of life, because you know that the testing of your faith develops Perserverance..." James 1: 2-3. We love you!!! Robin

Marsha said...

Thanks Robin